Saturday, April 11, 2015

Explaining Evolution to Christians, and Genesis to Evolutionists: A Metaphor

Explaining Evolution to Christians, and Genesis to Evolutionists: A Metaphor

Let me tell you what I did recently.

On the first day I cut out some wood.

On the second day I sanded some boards.

On the third day I painted some cabinet parts.

On the fourth day I assembled some cabinets.

On the fifth day I made a delivery to a duplex.

On the sixth day I created a galley kitchen.

On the seventh day I rested.

Now, from what I've said you don't really know whether all of those days I mentioned are consecutive, but you probably assumed I was talking about a week.

You might assume that I know the word "cycle" and can't be using "day" instead of it, but you can't be absolutely sure. You may or may not know that wood turns into boards which turns into cabinet parts which turns into cabinets which turns into a kitchen.

Or you might not.

My guess is that if you lived on this planet around 5,000 B.C, you didn't have a word for cycle, cabinet, OR "galley kitchen."

 
My guess is that it took the invention of the wheel and possibly a passing knowledge of astronomy for man to grasp the concept of a cycle in any form other than a "day." For the layman to understand the modern definition of a cycle, it probably took the invention of clockwork.

And I know for a fact that the words "evolution," "natural selection," and "genetic drift" hadn't been invented in 5000 B.C.

Just sayin'.

Share/Bookmark

No comments: