Sunday, July 15, 2007

More On Magic


In my opinion the consensus that "there is no magic left in the world" is mostly due to how the media and academic societies have chosen to have us percieve it.

As a society we tend to ridicule those who fail to take the theories of mainstream science for granted.

My mother teaches Ayur Veda at a hospital, and I can tell you that some of the "mind over matter" healing that they do is no less fantastic or miraculous than the healing that elves perform in various fantasy books. Ayur Veda comes from the Rig Vedas, which are well over 5000 years old and also contain detailed flying instructions for the pilots of sun powered vimanas.

As a student of NLP and Huna, I have learned many technologies derived from ancient visualizations and word forms, but just because I know that these technologies are real doesn't mean that the mainstream has accepted them. Society tends to think that if there is no metal, there is no technology, but the technology of the ancients was not so crude that they needed such tools and materials.

To it's own detriment, I believe, modern man has also denied the existence of "spirits" and demons. Well, the Catholics still believe in them obviously, and I know a man who claims to have had one seated at the throne of his soul. This guy has an IQ of well over 160 and certainly has some skills that can be described as "uncanny" at the very least.

He got into demonology through fantasy....actually knows how to speak Tolkien elvin and deciphered the entire Black Language of Mordor with only the words and syllables found in the works.

He's now a Christian, and studies the Bible in ancient languages, of which he knows several (Ancient Hebrew, Latin, etc.) he says that God pulled him out of that life so quickly and forcibly that he could have no doubt as to who the one was who did it.

I say it's to the detriment of society that we no longer believe, because our leaders look to the problem of such things as college massacres with a psychological perspective when the psychological problems are obviously just side-effects of the possession. That's right- possession.

Part of the reason why I am writing a "prehistoric fiction novel that reads like fantasy" is to try and give the magic back to people. Man needs religion, and the unseen monster has done everything in its power to try and kill God with evolution.

That's ridiculous to me, as I find evolution perfectly complementary to the Bible. In no other ancient religious text besides Genesis do you find described the exact order of the appearance of animals on earth, perfectly in line with The Origin of Species.

I don't know why modern religious leaders fight against logic and reason, and insists that the phrase "created from the earth" means that God actually reached down and molded a little figurine like a sculptor. To the ancients, the word earth, or Gaia, meant the globe we live on as well as everything that populated it. To ancient man, the earth was a living breathing organism, or simbiotic colony, and the word evolution had not been invented yet. To me, the phrases "man evolved from apes" and "man was created from the earth" mean exactly the same thing.

But back to fantasy and changing lives:

I think that my father reading The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings to me at a very early age changed my life. It helped me to develope my imagination and instilled a respect for magical beauty in me that has held on to this day. I meet kids nowadays who haven't had such an experience, often because their parents find such literature silly and worthless, and am often sad to find what a bleak, closed-minded view of the world those kids have. too many kids these days are deprived of the luxury of being kids, and their imaginations are squashed before they even have time to develope.

Other than that, I can't think of another specific fantasy that has really changed my life, but the fantasy genre as a whole has. I feel I'm more open-minded and creative thinking because of it.

And there have been a few fiction books from other genres that have changed my life. The Fountainhead changed it for a brief time, and almost had me livng the life of an Objectivist in my early college years. Since then I've learned many things that have changed my outlook, but several of the principles (especially the ones about personal integrity) have stuck with me over the years.

I recently read the fantasy book "Faerie Wars," and though it didn't change my life, I do think that it could change the life of a young adult, especially one who suffering the pains of a parental divorce. The book melds fact with fiction, and seems to be a very good medium for helping kids to think for themselves, keep an open mind, and not to accept everything that's taught in history or science books just because someone in authority said so.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

morinn said...

eagerly waiting for you to bring back the magic in this world~ ;)

Joe Lyon said...

I hope to bring a little of it back at least!